2020-2021 Creative Writing Contest Theme
"How Has Nature Helped Me in this Time of Pandemic?”
Important Information & Contest Rules
1. Open to 8th grade students in South Florida. Entries may not exceed 500 words. Essays are limited to one per student and 10 per school, as selected by the teacher.
2. The top 10 finalists will be invited to the Awards Ceremony in March 2021. Of the finalists, three winning essays will be selected by a team of judges based on the following criteria: attention to theme, originality and depth of meaning.
3. Essays must be received via online entry form (below) by February 7, 2021.
Prizes to be Awarded
1st Place Winning Student Essay receives $750 in cash and prizes
2nd Place wins $500 and 3rd Place wins $250
Winning Teachers receive: 1st: $350, 2nd: $250, 3rd: $150
Submit Your Essay
Special Thanks to our Sponsors
Books & Books
South Florida Writers Association
Creative Writing Winners Essay
Congratulations to our Top 10 Finalists
WR Thomas Middle School ∙ Ms. Michelle Osorio:
- Rachel Chavez, Jason Gonzalez, Jessica Ratana and Brianna Roque
WR Thomas Middle School ∙ Ms. Gabriela Del Rio:
- Melissa Gonzalez, Kyley Lazarus and Ximena Quintana
Miami Arts Charter School ∙ Ms. Victoria Castells:
- Juliette Osorno, Dylan Reiss and Alex Schefter
Last year’s guest speaker:
Chance Ammirata, Founder, Lung Love Foundation
Chance is a passionate advocate who turned a near death experience into an opportunity. He now spreads awareness of the dangers of vaping through education and gives teens who have fallen into the trap of nicotine addiction the resources to quit.
Creative Writing Chairman: Anthony Broad
Director: Connie Goodman-Milone